Sunday, September 20, 2009

They Said It. . .

“Yeah the economy kept me looking at colleges in-state instead of going out of state.”

-Cooper Duncan, mechanical engineering freshman, University of Oklahoma

“I don’t pay for my own schooling and I am the fifth of five children who have all gone to college before me.  Therefore, my father has shoveled out a lot of money to let us go to college and be educated.  With the economy in shambles and tuition rising, it creates stress on him.  It’s stress on him that I feel is caused by me.  But it just helps me appreciate him more as a dad.”

-Amanda Lambert, economics sophomore, University of Oklahoma

“Well the economy didn’t really affect me because I got scholarships and my parents’ income was at least decent enough.”

-Luke Brigan, electrical engineering freshman, University of Oklahoma

“The economy didn’t affect me at all in coming, but I do know a lot of people that had to go to community colleges.”

-Blake Corgan, University College freshman, University of Oklahoma

"Demand for a Baylor education continues to be strong. Not only did Baylor enroll a near-record number of freshmen this fall (second only to last year), the University also received a record number of applications — somewhere in the neighborhood of 31,000 high school seniors last year applied. And the continued growth has not hurt the class of 2013’s academic quality, either; officials reported an increase in the freshman class’ academic index, which measures a combination of class rank and SAT/ACT scores. Perhaps more exciting is the continued growth in minority enrollment; a record 35% of first-year students are minorities, up from last year’s record 31%. Over the past four years, minority enrollment among freshmen has increased 62%, making Baylor the second-most diverse school in the Big 12!”

-Baylor Proud Blog

We have not seen an adverse affect at this point. Student discretionary spending in my opinion likely will be impacted given the possibility of limited or reduced available family resources. Meaning fewer trips home for visits, clothes shopping, eating out, ect…”  

 

“I believe this recession has had an affect everyone. But to your question, I think some families of juniors and seniors in high school might be or have been reconsidering there list of potential universities, and might opt for schools closer to home or even Community Colleges as a short-term alternative. As the economy begins to stabilize and recover in 2010, we could see a change. I think if you were an upper-class student who was not performing well academically or on academic probation, you might reconsider at this point in your pursuit of your education.”

 

-Chris Krause, Assistant Vice President of Campus Services, Baylor University

No comments:

Post a Comment